23,5cm x 17,5cm
Engraved on stainless steel 18/10 and framed
Balmoral Castle, private residence of the British sovereign, on the right bank of the River Dee, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, at 926 feet (282 metres) above sea level. After its acquisition (1852) by Albert, the prince consort (husband of Queen Victoria), the small castle then on the land was replaced in 1853–56 by the modern granite building, designed in Scottish baronial style by a local architect, William Smith, and the prince. Queen Victoria and successive sovereigns have used the castle as a summer residence and for grouse shooting on the local moors, visiting the competitive Scottish sports assembly known as the Highland Games (held locally at Braemar), and attending the parish church of Crathie, 1.5 miles (2.5 km) to the east.